Microsoft Office Access, previously known as Microsoft Access, is a relational database management system from Microsoft that combines the relational Microsoft Jet Database Engine with a graphical user interface and software development tools.
- Access is a member of the Microsoft Office suite of applications and is included in the professional and higher versions for windows and also sold separately.
- There is no version for MacOs or for Microsoft Office Mobíle.
- Access stores data in its own format based on the Access Jet Đatabase Engine
- Access can also import or link directly to data stored in other Access databases, Excel, SharePoint lists, text, XML, Outlook, HTML, dBase, Paradox, Lotus 1-2-3 or any ODBC-compliant data container including Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, and PostgreSQL. Software developers and data architects can use it to develop application software and non-programmer "power users" can use it to build simple applications.
- Access supports some object-oriented techniques but falls short of being a fully object-oriented development tool.
Database Management System (DBMS)
- A database is a collection of data of a particular type.
- A DBMS is an organized collection of data viewed as a whole, instead of a group of separate unrelated files
- Data in a database is stored in the form of tables.
- A table is a row and column arrangement of information.
- A DBMS is a collection of interrelated data and a set of programs to retrieve data from a database.
Relational Database Management System (RDBMS)
- A RDBMS is a multi-table database where the tables in the database have to be related to storing or retrieving data.
- A RDBMS is used to create and maintain relational databases.
Components Of A Table
- Each table in a database has a unique name that identifies the contents
- A table is also called a relation.
- The table contains data organized under specific categories.
- Each such category is arranged vertically in a table and is called a column.
- Every column in a table has a unique name.
- A column can also be referred to as a field.
- Data organized horizontally is termed as a row.
Type Of Database Objects
Tables: They store data in a row and column format similar to spreadsheets. Queries:They enable you to view data from a table based on a specified criterion.
Forms: They enable you to enter, view and modify in a table.
Reports: They enable you to generate reports based on tables and query results.
Data Access Pages: They are web pages that enable you to view data from the internet where the data is stored in an Access Data Access Pages database.
Macros: They are a series of commands and functions that can be executed whenever you need to perform a task.
Modules: They are a set of Visual Basic procedures and declarations stored as one unit.
A data type is used to store different types of values in a column in a table.
It stores text or a combination of text and numbers.
It stores a large number of text and numeric characters.
It stores numeric data that is used for mathematical calculation.
It stores data and time values.
It stores currency values.
It enables the user to automatically insert numbers in a sequential or random number.
It is used for fields that can contain YES/NO, TRUE/FALSE and ON/OFF values. Ole Object: It enables to store object, like word documents, Excel spreadsheets, pictures or sounds.
It enables to store a hyperlink like an e-mail address a web site address.
It enables to select a field from another table.